[osgi-dev] JPMS modularization for various OSGi artifacts

Mark Raynsford list+org.osgi at io7m.com
Wed Mar 21 17:39:18 EDT 2018

Hello!

Let's say I'm writing a library that I want to use both on OSGi and in
a Java 9 modular context. I write various classes and annotate them
with the standard @Component annotations for declarative services. I
then go to write a module-info.java so that my code can also act as a
Java 9 module... Uh oh, the @Component annotations are declared in a
jar that doesn't provide a module-info.class file and doesn't declare
an Automatic-Module-Name field in the jar manifest:

  http://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html

With OSGi R7 looming, is there any intention to add at least
Automatic-Module-Name entries in the various OSGi jars published to
Central? This would allow us to write libraries that are good citizens
in both worlds.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com