[osgi-dev] Question about Memory Usage per Bundle

BJ Hargrave hargrave at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 17 14:41:51 EST 2011

How do you define how much memory a bundle uses? It is generally not
possible to do this unless you have a very specific definition of memory
use. Bundles can extend classes imported from other bundles. Bundles can
call other bundles which allocate memory for the caller. To which bundle
does this memory "belong"? A bundle is a unit of encapsulation and
classloader isolation but it is not a unit of memory isolation. From a
memory perspective, bundles are very intertwined and it is extremely hard
to try and disentangle them.

--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM