[osgi-dev] Interoperability problems...

Niclas Hedhman niclas at hedhman.org
Thu Mar 22 00:53:30 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 21:25, Thomas Watson wrote:
> The RI shipped by the OSGi Alliance is configured to be a strict OSGi
> Framework.  To launch the official RI from OSGi you must follow the
> instructions provided by the OSGi Alliance.  That will give you a strict
> OSGi Framework.

Ok. I got the RI/TCK distro, but what "instructions" are you refering to??
Can't find anything.

java -jar org.osgi.impl.framework.eclipse.jar -console

gives the same result...

> Changing Equinox to default to a strict OSGi Framework and
> then force Eclipse to configure it for its needs will cause issues for all
> Eclipse clients and applications.  All of the Eclipse clients/applications
> will have to be reconfigured when they are upgraded to the latest Equinox
> that is now strict.  That is something I'm sure the Eclipse community would
> not enjoy.

Sure. I can sympathize with this. What I can't sympathize with is the dominant
perception in the industry that http://www.eclipse.org/equinox is a link to
THE reference implementation.

I'm not a lawyer, so an honest question; Are we allowed to publish the RI
(under a new name?) with the target to make it as strict to the spec as
possible? I think there is value in that for many people.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er