[osgi-dev] Backward compatibility

BOTTARO Andre RD-MAPS-GRE andre.bottaro at orange-ftgroup.com
Fri Mar 9 03:43:31 EST 2007

Hi,

It happens that more than a year after the 4th public release of OSGi(tm) specification and that felix project has begun, there is still an important gap to overcome for oscar developers to adopt felix platform :
- The numerous R3 bundles developed before are not deployable as is on the felix platform whereas the Core specification announce that OSGi(tm) platfroms must be backward compatible (Manifest version 1 and 2)
- The felix platform is delivered with a bundle repository client which is not compatible with previous repositories. It is due to obr 2 technical disrupt and felix decision (?) not to remain backward compatible.

It explains that the choice between R3 and R4 before any development phase is not easy and I admit that I sometimes recommend to stay on the good old oscar... (especially for quick developments, quick application tests, or developments with existing R3 bundles).

Some (naive ?) solutions may answer the 2 problems I mention. Tell me if it is reasonable:
- felix Module Class Loader may enable bundles with manifest version 1 to import all the packages of the boot-delegation classpath. Or even better, a R3 module class loader can be attached to those bundles.
- oscar bundle repository client may be embedded in the felix one in order for the latter to be backward compatible. (on this simpler topic, I could recommend using felix with kf bundle repository client and server...)

I did not check if other platforms treat R3 bundles better. Was the core specification too ambitious ?

--
André