[osgi-dev] Configuration Admin and Bundle Location

John E. Conlon johnconlon at verticon.com
Mon Jan 22 10:46:43 EST 2007

Your right when the Configuration object is created it can be bound to a
bundleLocation or not (left null).  But when a Configuration Target
(ManagedService or ManagedServiceFactory) registers and the
bundleLocation of its matched configuration is found to be null.  (ie
not bound)  Then its bundleLocation is bound dynamically to the
configuration.

104.12.3 says: "In this scenario the Configuration Object must become
bound to the first bundle that registers a ManageService (or
ManagedServiceFactory) with the right PID."

If a second bundle in the same or a different OSGi runtime tries to
register a bundle that also utilizes the same configuration data (same
ServicePID) 'an error should be logged and that the registering bundle
should only be given a null'.

104.4.1 : "If a Managed Service is registered with a PID that is already
bound to another location, the normal callback to ManagedService.updated
must not take place."

On the other hand this binding is set to null when the bundle is
unregistered from the runtime, but this still limits the configuration
to a one at a time binding.

So if I have a enterprise directory server that I wish to use to serve
up configurations to OSGi applications throughout the enterprise.  I
will not be able to have more than one bundle registering and bound to
each configuration. Effectively limiting the enterprise directory to
service one application instance at a time.   If I needed N number of
instances of an application deployed through out an enterprise I would
need a number of configurations on the directory server equal to the
number of expected concurrent configuration targets.  In other words
ConfigurationAdmin is constrained to a 1..1 relationship of concurrent
configuration targets to persisted configurations.

Perhaps I am overlooking a workaround somewhere?

cheers,

John