[osgi-dev] Scalability of OSGi Services

Marcel Offermans marcel.offermans at luminis.nl
Mon Apr 30 07:34:15 EDT 2007

Hello Neil,

First of all, I'm a bit confused about what you are exactly asking here.

"do OSGi services scale?"
In my opinion, that's not a question you can answer with yes or no.
First of all, OSGi services are part of the specification, so from
that point of view the best you can do is, for example, state that
feature X of the specification is hard to implement in a way that
makes it scale to Y. Then you could look at one specific
implementation and see how that one scales (again, you first need to
specify what you mean by that).

"do OSGi services scale better or worse than Equinox Extensions?"
Even that one is very hard to answer unless you describe in more
detail what you exactly want to compare. They're different (as you've
explained in your article on Extensions vs Services http://
www.eclipsezone.com/articles/extensions-vs-services/) so again the
best you can do is to come up with some specific scenarios and
compare implementations.

I have been using OSGi for a long time now in various systems, and
I've been very happy with the service layer. In the projects I've
been involved with, we have never ever had scalability problems
related to services.

To be honest, I've never looked at the extension mechanism closely,
because in my view it's just something that Eclipse needed to make
the transition from their old plugin system to OSGi easier, just like
the "require bundle" way of doing dependencies instead of properly
using "import/export". Personally I would not recommend using it,
because I don't see it being better than the standard OSGi way of
doing things.

But back to the question, what exactly do you want to discuss?

Greetings, Marcel