[osgi-dev] Re: Bundle.update() v. BundleContext.installBundle() with a new version

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Thu Apr 12 11:13:11 EDT 2007

Niclas Hedhman <niclas at hedhman.org> writes:

> Well, I think you can. You just move the 'intelligence' from the
> management client to the management bundle which is present on the
> target platform.

By that I take it you mean that the client hands the URL over to a
specific bundle that knows how to interpret the URL as something OSGi
specific, right?

> "Hey here is an opaque URL, try to install it and report back."
> between the client and target, and the 'analysis' happens in the
> target, since it is already "OSGi specific" ;o)

After leaving the office last night, I was considering concocting a
URN format such as

  urn:osgi-bundle:some.symbolic.name:1.2.3

but not going so far as to actually publicly register the
"osgi-bundle" namespace.

That URN could be handed over to my "management bundle" -- the
front-end to OBR -- and interpreted as a bundle symbolic name and
version pair.

--
Steven E. Harris