[osgi-dev] Packaging opensource libraries as osgi bundles

Piero Campanelli pierocampanelli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 11:48:09 EST 2006

Hi,
I am reflecting to the fact that it would be nice if a set of opensource
projects (starting from most used/trendy) would be packaged as osgi bundles
and keeped them in a repository. (bundles.osgi.org for example or any
other). I see interesting the Eclipse Orbit initiative which is however
devoted only to "eclipse-related" libraries.

Clearly the problem of maintaining this repository would be high but the
benefits for osgi adoption could be interesting (specially when people see
that with osgi they are able to manage lot of lines code more easily than
traditional approach).

What do you think about that?

PS
As exercise I am starting porting existing opensource libraries as OSGi
bundles. I think there are two level of adoption:
a) package "components" as osgi bundles and keep tracks of dependencies and
versions
b) adopt a service oriented approach (using osgi registry or declarative
service)

a) can be done easily and I think can also be maintained externally from the
main trunk of the project (if project is well modularized). b) should be
adopted from project team :)