[jsr-291-eg] Use of the system classloader

Andy Piper andyp at bea.com
Tue Aug 15 06:01:16 EDT 2006

Hello Experts,

Our internal uses of OSGi have come across a number of use cases
where Java SE relies on the system classloader for loading resources
of various types. One example is JNDI factories. Unfortunately this
creates problems when trying to load these resources from OSGi
bundles. OSGi has already solved this problem with the URL Handler
Service. This service makes it possible to register URL handlers from
OSGi bundles, so that there's a way to load them other than by
putting them in the system class path.

We would like this issue to be addressed uniformly across Java SE.
For JNDI this could be solved by providing our own factory
implementation, I'm not sure whether this mechanism would so readily
apply to other scenarios however.

Thoughts?

andy

by email and then delete it.